Monday, April 1, 2013

Salt Dough Cupcake Creation!

Hello loves! I hope each and every one of you had a wonderful Easter. :]

I've been looking around Pinterest and other places online for ideas on what to make using salt dough.  I know the typical thing is ornaments and such, but I wanted to do something else.  As I was scrolling along, I thought of doing a small cupcake trinket-like box (nothing too fancy, but something out of the ordinary).  I ended up with this little creation.


Click below for more info and pictures!

I honestly don't think the sprinkles are as secure as they could be, so if you guys have some ideas for that please let me know! :]

To make the salt dough, I used the generic recipe and cut it down by 1/4:
  • 2 cup flour --> 1/2 cups used
  • 1 cup salt --> 1/4 cups used
  • 1 cup water --> 1/4 cups used (because it was still too dry, I added a little bit more, just enough to be able to work with the dough)
*If you used as much as I used, you'll end up with around the size of a baseball.

After finishing the sculpture, the cupcake looked like this, and it was air dried overnight and then put in the oven in the morning for 20 minutes at 200 degrees C.


I used acrylic paint and beads as the sprinkles, and used a mod podge substitute (using 1 part water, 2 parts glue)
*Since I don't really know the consistency of mod podge, I don't know if it was supposed to turn out how it did. haha.

The result is that it's not as nice and glazed as a regular ceramic creation, but I'd say this project was worth a try.  My friends and fam kept wanting to take a bite out of it >.< lol.
For now, it'll just stay on my desk as a holder for earrings and such until I find something better to do with it. It is cute, and it makes me happy when I see it, so it was worth all the effort put into it. :]