Saturday, September 21, 2013

[DIY] How To: Make Hair Ties! ...And Review!

Happy start of the weekend!

Another post this week for you guys! I've seen these elastic hair ties everywhere for at least $6 for a pack of 4 or 5. I personally think it's a tad pricey for simple elastics, but....I get drawn in by the pretty colors and designs. I thought I'd share my own take on these elastic hair ties with you guys! (Click below for more pics!)

A little bit of info about these hair elastics (or I guess hair elastics in general)/Review:

To me...they don't really substitute the black ouchless hair ties that everyone wears. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, click on here.) The elastic hair ties give you a floppy kind of hold on the hair, regardless of whether you have thick or thin hair. The look I love the most with these kind of hair ties is the one braided hair style. They look so cute at the end of your hair!  I guess you can add it over the boring old ouchless hair ties for fashion purposes, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the hair tie. (Whatever works, right?) I've heard people use hair straighteners to straighten the hair tie out, because it does get kind of wrinkly, but I just leave it flat when wearing it on my wrist. Regardless of the holding ability, these little elastics look so cute on the wrists!

Things you need:
  • 5/8'' Fold over elastic (Amazon has a lot of different colors/designs too!)
  • Sharp scissors
  • Ruler
  • Clear nail polish or lighter/flame source
Steps:
  1. Grab your ruler and elastic and measure out around 9 inches or so, depending on your wrist. (I did ~9 and 9 1/4 inches)
  2. Cut it out, leaving a diagonal edge.
  3. Using nail polish or a flame source, lightly coat the ends to prevent from fraying.
  4. Option 1: Have both ends together, tie a knot, and pull to tighten the knot (black hair tie).
  5. Option 2: Tie the two ends twice, as though you're tying shoes, and tighten the knot (blue hair tie).
  6. All finished!
One 1 yard makes 4 little hair ties for you! It was a little pricey for this kind of fold over elastic at Joann's (I got it for $2.99, but there are various Esty shops that have a wider selection of them! Just make sure its 5/8''! Here is one shop I will certainty buy from if I continue to make these elastic hair ties! Just look at those colors!

Well...anyways, before you go back to staring at those colors, I hope you enjoyed my little diy for these popular elastic hair ties! Have a lovely weekend!