Sunday, October 6, 2013

Manicure Monday! Featuring Gradient Nails for Homecoming!

With flash
Happy Monday!

For some of you guys, Homecoming is just around the corner, so I thought I'd put up a fancy looking nail art up. This is a subtle glitter gradient nail design that will be fun for Homecoming or any occasion!

I guess there's not much reviewing today... so I'm going to call it...."a nail design that will inspire you." Haha, but hopefully you do get some inspiration to play around with this nail design.  The two nail polishes I used for this look has been reviewed already, which I'll link for you guys: Butter London's Knackered here and Essie's Full Steam Ahead here.

Things I used:
  • Solid nail polish color (Essie's Full Steam Ahead)
  • Glittery nail polish color (Butter London's Knackered)
  • Cosmetic Sponges in rectangular form
  • Optional: rhinestones, glitter, etc.
Steps:
  1. Grab your solid nail polish color and paint all your nails until you get the opacity you like. This will serve as a base for your glitter nail polish.
  2. Take the rectangular sponge and fold it, so it's only a strip of sponge (see picture!) This allows easier control of where the polish is going to go. I took a sponge and cut it in half to not waste the whole sponge.
  3. Put some glitter polish on the sponge and sponge away! I started from about 3/4 of the way down to the tips of my nails. Reapply polish to sponge when needed.
  4. Wait to dry.
  5. Going from about 1/3 of the way down, sponge on another layer and repeat if needed to ensure that it will show up darker than the first sponged layer.
  6. Optional: I didn't do this, but if you want to glitter it up, you can add glitter to the tippy tips of your nails. You can also add rhinestones in the corner, under the second sponged layer...or all over the place! Just have fun with it!
  7. Seal all that hard work with a top coat and you're done!
Note: Before I used a top coat, the Butter London polished sponged on my nails has a very sand-like texture! Very fun to play with (and distracting)! If you're looking for a sandy effect, this could be a fun alternative!

Second note! I didn't have any wedged cosmetic sponges around, so I worked with what I had. If you do plan on using them, just be aware of how much polish is being sucked into that sponge so you don't go too crazy on the glitter! ;]

I know it's not a crazy, in-your-face kind of gradient look; it's more on the elegant side, but it really all depends on how you pair your solid and glitter colors! Hopefully this little how-to inspires you to create an amazing glitter gradient that you'll love. 

Have a wonderful week! (:

In natural light