Monday, November 11, 2013

Manicure Monday! Featuring Revlon Nail Art Expressionist in Silhouette

(Another awkward hand pose)
Hello! Long time no blog posting! Sorry about that, school's been hectic for me x.x... Well it's yet another Monday! but at least there's no school right? Extra day of the week to relax and do your nails!...or catch up on school work! Regardless of how you spend your day here's a Manicure Monday that will make you put your creative thinking caps on!- Revlon's Nail Art Expressionist in Silhouette.

Here's a little back story for you first! I've been eyeing these Revlon duo nail polishes type things since I saw the Revlon Nail Art Moon Candy ones out in stores. I checked out a few reviews and decided it wouldn't be worth it. I was always under the impression that these were pricey for how much of the product you get, even though it was a 2 in 1 kind of deal. Anyways, I've been hunting for a nude/beige like color, and one day I was shopping at Ulta one day and I had enough points for $3 off and a 20% off coupon and I jumped at the opportunity.

Before I go into the details...the one I picked was in Silhouette. It features a medium-dark beige that's supposed to be used as a base and a shimmery brown with silver undertones as the nail art side. The Nail Art Expressionist line has 10 different polish duos that range from pastel to shimmer to bright to bold.

Reviewing time!

The formula is decent. The nail art polish is a bit extra runny. Something to note is that both these polishes have such a strong nail polish smell. I don't have a lot of experience with Revlon polishes in general, so I don't know if this is something different, or if this is something typical. The smell was strong enough for me to look for the ingredients and see if any of the big harmful polish chemicals are used (formaldehyde, toluene, and dibutyl phthalate). I didn't notice any of these in the ingredients, but I still don't like the smell!
please excuse the blinding flash >.<

Application was okay. The beige brush reminded me a lot of the Etude Ice Cream polishes (comparison here). It's a fat brush (not to be insulting to the brush!) so it covers a lot, but it gets messy. As mentioned before, the formula for the nail art side was a bit runny and I never personally had experiences with nail art polishes, so I'm gonna say it seems to apply just dandy. (I kept it safe with my nail art design... if you can tell!)

Longevity/quality of the polish is...acceptable? haha my adjectives don't sound convincing huh? The base polish seems to be good, I don't see any problems with it thus far (had this on since Thursday). I had minor tip chipping already after a day-ish of wear with the nail art side, and have reapplied the polish to the tips since. I didn't use a top coat with this, but I will definitely next time. In the pic, that is two coats of the base and little spontaneous streaking of the nail art side plus a little extra coverage at the tip (makes it kind of look like a gradient french tip kinda thing!)

Pigmentation is wonderful. I really like the color payoff the beige has. After two coats though, you can still kind of see your tips, so three coats will probably do. I'm a bit stingy with smaller polish bottles (don't want to use it up so fast!), so I just covered the tips with the shimmery polish. The shimmery polish goes along nicely with the beige. If you aren't too adventurous with your nails, this is a really good duo for you. The shimmer adds a nice effect and more excitement to the overall nail look, but it's not too crazy.

The advantage of using a duo polish (especially with a shimmery side!) is that you can easily dress your nails up or down. You can wear this to a fancy event, or do little designs and make it more playful and carefree. I bought this particular polish knowing I can fully utilize both polishes.

Net wt. is 0.26 fl oz, which is a little more than half of an Essie polish (0.46 fl oz). The retail price is $8.99, which I personally think is a little steep, but for what it is...I guess it's acceptable? In my opinion, I would never buy this full price, but I do appreciate the concept of it and it is something fun to try out. Revlon currently has three collections that have this duo ended concept in case you didn't find anything you'd like from this line: Moon Candy, Art Expressionist and Art Neon, so there's a nice range of combos that will fit whatever you're looking for.

Have you used any of these Revlon polishes? Let me know! I'd love to see your creations!

Have a wonderful week lovelies!