Monday, December 23, 2013

Manicure Monday! Featuring Cutesy Christmas Ornaments with Sinful Colors Mint Apple


Hello lovelies!

Just a couple more days before Christmas! I know this is a little late for my Manicure Monday posts, but I hope you enjoy this. I've seen a lot of Christmas nails, but I was inspired to do fun, colorful ornaments!

I went through tons of Christmas nails/ornament designs to try and figure out what I'd be doing, and I ended up with this simple nail art design. At first glance they don't really look like Christmas nails, but you know how I like being subtle with my nail designs, so I'm quite happy with the results. If you wanted to make it more Christmas themed, I'd recommend sticking with reds, greens, whites, and golds.

How to do the nail design:
  1. Use a base color and paint as many coats as you need until you're happy with the opacity.
  2. When nails are dry, use a dotting tool and create the ornaments. (You can also use the back of a toothpick.) You can make the ornaments larger by carefully going over the dot using swirling like motions to stretch out the size. Like always, be spontaneous with the placement and size of the ornaments. It makes it more fun!
  3. Using a toothpick, draw vertical lines from the bottom of your nail to the top of the ornament. This will be like the ornament is hanging from a tree. Do not be harsh with the toothpick on this step, or the next one, simply glide the toothpick on top of your nails.
  4. With the toothpick, add two loops at the top of the ornament to form a bow. You can also add the ends of the bows to add more of a variety between the ornaments. 
  5. Seal with top coat and you're done!
Polishes I used for this nail look:
(If I've included the polish in any of my other posts, I'll link it for you, so you can see more pics and/or reviews about them.)
  • Sinful Colors Mint Apple: base coat (review)
  • Sephora by OPI Shiny Dancer: bows and strings that attach to ornaments.
  • Essie Full Steam Ahead (lilac): ornaments on thumb and ring finger (review)
  • Essie Rock the Boat (light blue): ornament on thumb finger (review)
  • Sinful Colors Berry Charm (berry red): ornaments on thumb and middle finger (review)
  • Sinful Colors Let Me Go + Butter London Knackered (shimmery purple): ornaments on index finger and pinky (review of Knackered)
  • Sinful Colors Gorgeous (shimmery blue): ornaments on index and ring fingers
Have a wonderful night (or day!) and happy holidays! [: