Friday, April 4, 2014

Ipsy Beauty Subscription Box Review

http://www.ipsy.com/r/7zbj
image from ipsy.com: made my mark on ipsy ;] (like my amazing heart drawing skills?)
Hello loves! Today I'm going to share with you my thoughts on the Ipsy subscription service (and since it's a tad long, I'm going to do the March Glam Bag in a separate post, contrary to what I was initially going to do.)

Info About Ipsy:

For those of you who don't know, Ipsy is a monthly beauty subscription box that features 4-5 deluxe samples/full sized products all tucked into a cute little bag. For $10 a month (plus tax! free shipping!), you are able to sample products from a variety of brands ranging from drugstore to higher end makeup.

There are various items you can get in your glam bag based on a style quiz you take when you create an account. (You can always retake the quiz as well!) Even though they can't accommodate for every single one of your preferences, it still does get factored in when they ship out your glam bag.

If you choose to subscribe to Ipsy and do the beauty box program, you'll get billed on the first of every month, and they get shipped out around mid month. If you do not cancel your monthly subscription before the first, they will still bill you for the next month and continue your subscription until you choose to cancel. You can do a monthly subscription for $10/mo or a yearly subscription for $110/yr. You can't "pause" your subscription, you can only cancel, and potentially get on the waitlist if you later choose to resubscribe to the program.

My Thoughts on the Program:

I've been meaning to try this subscription box for a while, but I'm not much of a risk taker. I'm not the type of person who would like spending money on "mystery" products. (Even though surprises are fun! Fingers crossed!) I'm more of the type of person who reads reviews, looks at pictures/swatches, and find out anything and everything about the product before I try it myself, so I can find some reason to justify the money going to be spent for it. That being said....

I think spending $10/month isn't...terrible. I mean..spending $120/yr or $110/yr (if you choose to do annual subscription) is still a significant amount of money jumping out of your wallet, but I think of it as a "splurge" item/gift to yourself for getting through another month. Life is rough, there are so many things that you can encounter that will slow you down or stop you from where you want to go, and I think getting little surprises like this is something enjoyable and refreshing (and different), even if you don't end up liking all the products (that is how I'm going to justify my Ipsy subscription for the time being).

Of course, I don't have much experience with the Ipsy glam bag, as I've only had this for one month, but we'll see what happens. I've heard products can get repetitive, but that can be expected with any kind of subscription box. Compared to other boxes, I believe that this is worth the money, but we'll see if it keeps up in the long run. I only say this because I thoroughly enjoy youtube vids on unboxings of subscription boxes and I've seen a bunch of these kinds of videos for different subscription programs.

As of this point, I don't know how long I'm going to be subscribing to the Ipsy glam bags, but I currently love it, and am expecting April's glam bag in a couple of weeks.

Initially, what started this subscription off is that March was my birthday month (I'M SO OLD NOW T_T) and I wanted to go for it and see how it would...go.

Process of Being Officially "Subscribed":

I don't know if this process is different for everyone, but I'll share you my story.

I've been a member of Ipsy since June of last year, but I never tried to subscribe for the program until mid-February. When I finally decided to subscribe, I was put on the waitlist. (They send you a confirmation email saying that you're on the waitlist.) I don't know if it was a combination of various scenarios, or it was just a stroke of luck, but I got the order confirmation email very soon after.

I went on Ipsy through someone's referral code/link and filled the subscription form out. At the end of the form (after I confirmed and everything), there was an option to get off the waitlist by sharing on Facebook, which I chose to do, and soon after I was in. I don't know if everyone gets the same option or anything, that's just what happened with me.

And there you go...sorry for such a wordy post, but I hope you get a better idea of Ipsy's subscription box program. My March glam bag post will be up in *hopefully* a couple of days! Have a wonderful weekend!


Disclaimer: Image contains referral link. If you choose to purchase Ipsy's subscription boxes through my link, I will get points for it.