Monday, June 9, 2014

[Manicure Monday] Featuring Pure Ice In Satin Ribbon (1066)

Hello there! It is getting quite toasty here in SoCal these days. Summer will be arriving shortly. Hot, steamy days are a-coming! But anyways!...here is this week's Manicure Monday featuring the lovely shade Satin Ribbon from Pure Ice polishes!

I have walked past the Pure Ice display many times while browsing around the aisles of Walmart, never purchasing any, but I have always loved the look of the bottles. *Packaging lover strikes again* My wonderful roomie from college (I MISSH YOU SO MUCH) had a couple of this polishes, and being a nail polish lover/great roommate that I am, she let me try them on. If memory serves me well, I wasn't really satisfied with the formula of the polishes, but they have such pretty shades.

What made me purchase this polish is because of an Influenster VirtualVox: Pure Ice VirtualVox. Part of the task is to purchase and review a polish from the collection, and me being the nail polish addict that I am, couldn't refuse such a task. ;] I did mention the Influenster program in a previous post just briefly *here* when I did a review of the Uni VoxBox, if you want to take a look at that.

Review time!

Satin Ribbon is a pale, milky white/pink shade. Because the formula is quite sheer, I can see this shade working out for multiple purposes. If you were to use this as I have in the picture above, you will need a good three coats for opacity. If you use two coats (or thinner layers), this is a polish where you can see the white tips, or "edges", of your nails, so...just something to be wary of if you are one of those people who don't like the tips showing. If you do keep the polish sheer (1-2 coats), I can see it acting as a good base coat for a traditional french tip.

[I went ahead and used I Found a Pot of Gold from Sephora by OPI to make a curved french tip-like design. It's a bit messy, but I find it quite deceiving, depending on the angle you're looking.]

Application is a bit streaky and seemingly difficult to work with on the first coat. After the initial coat though, it's easier as you continue to layer it. (Though I find it a bit difficult to dry quickly.) The polish leaves such a nice, glossy finish. The tips "wore out" a bit after a couple days, but for the most part, I didn't experience major chipping. The packaging is, as I've mentioned before, adorable! I really do like the "cube" shape of the bottle; it's a bit more appealing to me than the typical rounded or rectangular bottles. But of course, packaging makes up just a teensy bit of my overall impression on the polish.

Pure Ice polishes contain 15mL (0.5fl oz) of product which is the same amount of polish you get from Sinful Colors polishes. These polishes are toluene, formaldehyde, and DBP free. They retail for $1.97 at Walmart locations.

Overall, I'm not entirely fond of polishes where you can see the tips, nor do I like using more than two coats of polish to get the opacity that I desire.  I also thought the color would be a bit more pink. This is not a shade I would go for, but it is really nice as a more natural color, if you're looking for one that's not really in the nude-y brown family. It is also nice if you're looking for a shade that's white, but not stark white. 8/10!

I hope you have a lovely Monday and week! Take care always!

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post; however, I am creating this post as part of a contest. As always, opinions are my own.