Friday, June 6, 2014

[Review] Rosebud Perfume Co. Smith's Rosebud Salve

Hi there! Looking for a new lip balm? Maybe a versatile one? Well... take a look at this Rosebud Salve from Rosebud Perfume Co.!

I always see this little beauty when I'm in line to check out at Sephora, and I always eye it, try it out..think about it night and day... ;] A main reason why I've been hesitant on purchasing is that I have a bunch of lip balms all over the place. I'm still going through my EOS pack, which I've mentioned in previous posts. ~EOS info and 5pk review (here), EOS basket of fruit 4pk post (here)~ I have been sharing these two with my sister though, and I'm down to the last few.

As I'm finishing those up, I decided to get this Rosebud Salve one mainly for the purpose of applying at night before I sleep, so it can just stay on my nightstand. I have such an issue with really chapped lips in the morning, and I wanted to see how well the Rosebud would fare.

The Rosebud salve, which I'll just call lip balm, is in a really cute metal tin. Very old fashioned and presentable, but because of the nature of the container, it's a bit tricky trying to open it. I have chipped some nails, ruined some nails, etc. trying to pry this thing open, and I've resorted to wrapping an elastic band around the halves to get a better grip of the tin. All I have to do now is twist and it comes right off! Quite a nice decor piece if I do say so myself... haha.

It says on the tin that it can be used as "an all purpose skin preparation", and that it can "help to relieve chapped lips and skin, diaper rash, blemishes, detergent burns, and rough cuticles, and may soften rough hands". Quite a bit of uses you can get out of this little thing! There are a number of additional uses on the Rosebud Perfume Co. site as well (link here). The main purpose of me getting this is for its use as a lip balm; I've also used it for cuticles, and it works just as well as my hand and nail cream. I've read reviews before that it really does work on sunburns and diaper rashes as well, but I have no first hand experience in either yet.

I find that the consistency is a tad thinner than Vaseline (petroleum jelly), and that it's quite hydrating, both on the lips as well as the skin. It's not greasy, but it leaves a glossy finish on your lips or if you don't rub it into your skin. There is a scent to it, and as you can already assume, it smells like roses. It doesn't really bother me, the scent isn't overpowering, but it is there, so if you don't like scents, I wouldn't recommend this for you. It's a very compact tin that you can throw in your bag and such during your travels or when you're out and about. I would just be cautious of it melting while the tin's not right side up (it could get a little messy).

When I apply this at night on my lips, by the time I wake up, my lips are feeling soft and they're not chapped! Gold star! This product doesn't have the little bunny, but as stated on their site/tin, it's cruelty free/no animal testing, gluten free and vegan friendly! How perfect is that?

You can find this available at Sephora stores as well as Urban Outfitters, Anthro, and a number of other places, selling for $6 (or $8 if you're shopping at Urban Outfitters). You get 0.8oz (22g) of product, which is quite a bit. (EOS lip balms are 0.25oz)

Overall, I've been loving this! I am excited to try this out for its other purposes, but the outcome seems very promising. Very versatile, lightly scented, not too goopy...I could go on and on! The tin is cute and everything, but it's not entirely convenient. I worry for the day I put this in my bag and it melts into the lid because it's upside down. For now, it's just sitting on my bedside, so I have nothing to worry about. 9.5/10!

I highly recommend this product, and if you are able to sample it, do check it out! I love products that are multipurpose. It just makes what you're paying for so much more worth it.
Do you have a favorite lip balm? Let me know!

Have a lovely day!