Tuesday, July 22, 2014

[Late Manicure Monday] Featuring Summer Blues Inspired Nails

Late Manicure Monday (again..:T_T) but better late than never! This week is a fun Summer Blues inspired nail look. It kind of reminds me of a watercolor painting!
There was no fancy technique done to blend all the colors together, you just need a couple of make up sponges and you're good to go! I love using make up sponges for nails because it's so easy to use! It can get a bit messy, but that's just part of the fun. I've done many sponge type nail art designs before (*here* are some of my past nail designs using the method.)

For this particular method, I used a rectangular make up sponge and cut it into stripes. I would then fold them in half and dab on a bit of nail polish on the folded part and start dabbing on my nails (after the base coat dries). The picture above is how I went about with this nail design. Between steps, I would go back and make sure the color is as opaque as I wanted them to be. I would also make sure that the shades are balanced to my liking. Step 4 is just applying a top coat to give the nails a glossy finish. A bit of nail polish remover on a cotton swab will clean the messy edges right up!

The polishes I used to achieve this look were:
  • Pure Ice Satin Ribbon (base coat)
  • Etude House Blue Mint
  • Essie Rock the Boat
  • Sinful Colors Gorgeous 
Thinking back to what I did, I feel like I could've just stuck with a white base coat to allow the colors to stand out more. I feel like I could also just have painted my nails with Essie Rock the Boat first as a base coat and then just sponge on the rest of the shades.  Though if I did the latter, I don't think I would have placed the colors as nicely as I did sponging everything on.

I really like how these nails turned out. The colors blend really nicely with each other thanks to the sponging technique. It was a really fun nail design to do. Just be patient with it.  You can always dab over colors if you end up with too much of one shade, or dab on more if the shade is too light.

If you try it yourself, share some pics with me! I hope you enjoyed this post. Have a lovely week!