Saturday, August 23, 2014

Ipsy August 2014 Glam Bag: Beauty Schooled

Hai there! How is school/work going for you guys? This month's Ipsy post is a bit delayed, but at least the video went up early!

The theme for this month is "Beauty Schooled". Ipsy always picks such appropriate themes wouldn't you say? This bag has a fun orange polka dotty design on a white background. It has a shiny, smooth plastic feel to it. It features a cylindrical shape, and has a lot of space! I can fit all my school supplies!
ipsy beauty schooled
When I received my bag, it was actually "opened". I say it in quotes because even though it was opened, it was sealed to the point where nothing could come out. This packaging mishap resulted in no damages on anything, the only thing was that the bag had some sticky residue.
Inside the bag!

Urban Decay Perversion Mascara (3mL, 0.1 fl.oz)
I haven't used this mascara yet, as I have a bunch of mascaras to go through before I should start using this one. This is such a skinny little tube! I love the chrome finish, very sleek! This mascara is said to be "ultra-creamy, lengthening, and volumizing, featuring triple-black pigments and a deeply nourishing ingredient blend".  Will review this at a later time! (12 mL/0.4 fl.oz), $22)

Jersey Shore Sun Mongongo Lip Conditioner (0.15oz)
jersey shore sun mongongo lip conditioner
This lip conditioner is nutrient dense and has anti-aging properties. The scent is mandarin green orange ginger. I can definitely smell citrus notes as well as a hint of ginger from this lip balm, mostly citrus though. This is a wonderfully moisturizing lip balm. It makes my lips soft, I just love the formula of it! I normally go for more fruity scented lip balms, but I do like this one. It is cruelty free, organic and non-GMO. Since it says "anti-aging", I assume that it would contain SPF, but apparently it doesn't. The mongongo oil "offers unique protection from UV as well as environmental pollutants". How cool is that? This product has so many beneficial factors for your lips! (Standard size is provided, $5.50)

Kloraine Dry Shampoo (50mL, 1.06oz)
I am always hunting for the perfect dry shampoo, so I was pretty excited when this was included in my Ipsy bag! I just want to say that I am not a fan of aerosol dry shampoos. I feel like I finish them so fast that it's not  even worth the money. The formula works great though! There is a slight white cast, but it's not hard to brush out. I have such oily roots that I need to use dry shampoo on second or even third day hair. This dry shampoo does the job. The scent kind of reminds me of something a more mature person would wear, but it's not that bad; it's still a clean fragrance. This is my favorite, and so far, most used item in this month's bag! I have used it 2-3 times now, and there might be enough for another 2 uses. (Travel size is provided, $9)

Lord And Berry Silk Kajal Kohl Eye Pencil in #1001 Black  (0.02oz, 0.6g)
lord and berry silk kajal kohl eye pencil swatch
Creamy formula with a semi-matte finish. It's very easy to work with; you can smudge it out, blend it out, etc. It goes on so easily. The only problem I have with it, is that that doesn't seem to set at all; it will smudge as the day goes on, quite messy. I'm thinking of maybe using this under liquid eyeliner to keep the look from being too harsh, but we'll see. I have other liners, so this isn't one I will constantly grab for. I'm sure it will be mostly used for smoky eyes, more as a pencil eye shadow kind of thing. This pencil is ophthalmologically-tested so it is suited for sensitive eyes. (1.2g, $16)

Manna Kadar Cosmetics Sheer Glo (0.27 oz, 8mL)
manna kadar cosmetics sheer glo swatch
This is a shimmer lotion which is a nice addition to your foundation or with normal moisturizer for a "luminous glow".  The consistency is a bit runny. I just see this as a peachy gold shimmer lotion, nothing more than that. It would be perfect for the night out on your decolletage area (around the upper torso, neck, shoulder, and such) It adds a subtle shimmer when light hits the area with this shimmer lotion. So subtle that it might not even been too noticeable. Personally, I would not use it on my face; I tried it and it seems to make pores look more noticeable. (1 fl oz, $29)

Overall Thoughts:

I actually like this bag. I can use every product in it to some extent. Essentially all new brands I haven't tried yet (except Urban Decay). My favorite product is between the dry shampoo and lip balm. Both are products I frequently use and I will get the most use out of them (I'm almost done with the dry shampoo! Sad face) I love this bag, lots of different kinds of items to try, as well as brands.

Approximate retail value of bag: $36.83

If you want to check out Ipsy for yourself, click here*

Check out my unboxing video here!

Have a wonderful day lovelies! Take care!

Disclaimer: This post contains referral links. As always, opinions are my own.