Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Late Manicure Monday: Cupcake Nails! (Tutorial Included!)

Hello lovelies! I apologize for another late Manicure Monday! This week is a sweet little number featuring cupcake nails!

I really wanted to make a little video showing you how to make the nails, and I was unable to film yesterday hence the delayed post. I'm still trying to figure what kind of format I want for the titles of my posts, so I also apologize for the inconsistency between them. I have been a very picky little panda.

For this nail look, I used various "nail tools", the only "professional" one I used is a nail dotting tool, which is a bit larger than a bobby pin. You can also use the end of a make up brush or pen, or even just a bobby pin. You can always work around it. I chose the specific dotting tool just for easier..."dotting ability" but anything is fine.

I would also like to mention that I do list polishes I used for you to have a better idea of the shades used (this goes for any nail post). I am aware some of these are limited edition polishes, and I do apologize ahead of time if you do want it and aren't able to find it. I can give you more close ups to help you find a dupe or a similar shade (don't hesitate on asking!)

Polishes Used:

  • L'Oreal Nail Color Royally Yours (base coat)
  • Sinful Colors Snow Me White (cupcake frosting)
  • Etude House Blue Mint (cupcake liner)
  • Sinful Colors Berry Charm (cherry on top!)
  • Sinful Colors Soul Mate (sprinkles)
  • Sephora Hello Kitty Minty (sprinkles)
  • Sephora Hello Kitty Banana Cream (sprinkles)
  • Essie Rock the Boat (sprinkles)
  • Essie Full Steam Ahead (sprinkles(
  • Seche Vite Top Coat
Steps for Creating Cupcakes:
  1. Make sure your base coat is completely dried before creating cupcakes!
  2. Using a white shade and the dotting tool, dot down the "edges" of the frosting. In the tutorial, I did a 5 star type shape, but you can also just make an outline of what you want. Alternative method: You can also just start making a cloud shape, and that will work just as well! Fill in your frosting and move on to the next step!
  3. Get a toothpick and dip it in your cupcake liner shade. [I personally went for a darker shade than the base color, but you can definitely mix and match if you want!] 
  4. Carefully lie the toothpick on its side to give you a line, fix it up as needed. Alternative method: If you don't have shaky hands, you can just create a line with the toothpick by carefully dragging it from the edge of the frosting to the nail tip.
  5. Get the dotting tool again and using the cherry shade, create a nice round cherry on the top of the frosting. Even with my dotting tool, I had to "stretch" out my cherry, because I want it a bit larger.
  6. Take your toothpick and bobby pin and dip them in fun colorful colors for the sprinkles. [In my tutorial, I didn't use a bobby pin, but I did use it when I was doing my other hand.] Wipe off the polish on a napkin before dipping it into another shade. If you only have a toothpick, you can still create different sizes of sprinkles. 
  7. Seal everything up with your top coat and enjoy your little cupcakes!
If you don't want to wait for everything to dry before you move on to the next step, just be careful and use a light hand. Don't use too much pressure when creating your frosting or adding on the sprinkles. Just be patient with it. 

Video will be here when it finishes uploading!

I hope you enjoy and understood this tutorial. I hope the video helps as well! Have a lovely day!
insert awkward selfie here. i have such uneven eyes. i hate it >.<